Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Motor Corp. says some of its dealers are offering as much as a $1,500 discount on the basic work truck version of Toyota's newly redesigned Tundra truck, just barely one month after it went on sale. The discount for the Texas-built large truck reflects the intense competition in this lucrative segment, and the challenge Toyota faces in its effort to substantially expand its sales in a segment long dominated by Detroit brands.

Subscription is required
http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?mg=wsj-users2&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117344825020132192.html?mod=home_whats_news_us

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wow, already. It will be hard to make the GM, Ford and Dodge buyers switch to this truck, even with the $1500. The Toyota dealer in town brought in 5 Tundras. There is a Dbl Cab Long Box, a Dble Cab short box, and 3 reg cab long boxes. As of yesterday, these $1500 stickers are on the window, and all 5 are still there. Meanwhile you go drive by the Ford and GM dealers, you will never see the same Silverado and F-150 twice. I hope for Fords sake that these trucks dont sell because the Silverado will make a fairly big dent in sales.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, already. It will be hard to make the GM, Ford and Dodge buyers switch to this truck, even with the $1500. The Toyota dealer in town brought in 5 Tundras. There is a Dbl Cab Long Box, a Dble Cab short box, and 3 reg cab long boxes. As of yesterday, these $1500 stickers are on the window, and all 5 are still there. Meanwhile you go drive by the Ford and GM dealers, you will never see the same Silverado and F-150 twice. I hope for Fords sake that these trucks dont sell because the Silverado will make a fairly big dent in sales.
Toyota has already spent about $5,000.00 per truck to be built on advertersing.
But, if anything, they are persistent. I would Go for a MCE if I was GM. If I was Ford and Dodge, I would have all new offerings for 2009. That out class Toyota in every conceivable way.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wow, $5000/truck! Thats more $$ than GM and Ford spent on a vehicle during the Employee Disocount months.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wow, $5000/truck! Thats more $$ than GM and Ford spent on a vehicle during the Employee Disocount months.
I think the Error Toyota made was to make their truck too poser! It does not looks like a serious no nonsense truck. it looks more like.. oh look at me, I am tough... plus... those rear lights are not something you want on a Farm or construction zone...
Its just not practical...
I can see them selling in LA but not in the serious trucking Markets

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think the Error Toyota made was to make their truck too poser! It does not looks like a serious no nonsense truck. it looks more like.. oh look at me, I am tough... plus... those rear lights are not something you want on a Farm or construction zone...
Its just not practical...
I can see them selling in LA but not in the serious trucking Markets
Exactly! To me, it looks like they tried to copy the extremely successful 1997 to 2003 F-150 design with alot of surves in the body. But it did not turn out nearly as good as the F-150 did. The only real things that Toyota has done different in the truck market is offer a bigger motor (which is pretty cool) and put big brakes on the truck. Not Everyone need 380 hp, look at the guys who tow with the 5.4 in the F-150. It does it fine, and the F-150 can tow more and carry more in the bed with less motor.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly. To me, it looks like they tried to copy the extremely successful 97'-03' F-150 design with alot of surves in the body. But it did not turn as good out as good as the F-150 did. The only real things that Toyota has dont different in the truck market is offer a bigger motor (which is pretty cool) and put big brakes on the truck. Not Everyone need 380 hp, look at the guys who tow with the 5.4 in the F-150. It does it fine, and the F-150 can tow more and carry more with less motor.
Still if one need serious towing.. you can get the HD's or 250's or dodge equivalents with Diesel.. making the Tundra not competitive.
A big motor did not help the Titan.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There is a similar thread over at GMI. I wrote of a commercial I saw by a local Toyota dealer just yesterday morning. They are offering "...$4,000 off the entire inventory of Tundras".
This would be embarassing enough when it happens in Nebraska. But I live in Seattle. People here will buy ANYTHING so long as it's a Toyota, Nissan, Honda, or Subaru. If it's ugly, over-rated, and has a Japanese name glued to it's flanks it'll be a hit around here. So imagine my shock when I saw that TV spot.
But alas, Toyota may be many things. Stupid isn't one of them. Once the inventories are lowered around the nation, they'll' start lowering sticker prices. Quietly, but substantially. The threat to the domestics is by no means gone or even disgraced. Just delayed.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a similar thread over at GMI. I wrote of a commercial I saw by a local Toyota dealer just yesterday morning. They are offering "...$4,000 off the entire inventory of Tundras".
This would be embarassing enough when it happens in Nebraska. But I live in Seattle. People here will buy ANYTHING so long as it's a Toyota, Nissan, Honda, or Subaru. If it's ugly, over-rated, and has a Japanese name glued to it's flanks it'll be a hit around here. So imagine my shock when I saw that TV spot.
But alas, Toyota may be many things. Stupid isn't one of them. Once the inventories are lowered around the nation, they'll' start lowering sticker prices. Quietly, but substantially. The threat to the domestics is by no means gone or even disgraced. Just delayed.
Toyota is very sneaky and Calculating. The higher prices might have been a way to lure buyers by later lowering them.
BUT.. this might be another Titan case... But, even if this model run fails.. they will go back to the drawing board. GM however is on top of its big utes game.. the GMT 900's are formidable.. even Toyota cannot match them..
Ford is doing great commercials too. I wonder whats going on at Dodge

·
Registered
764 Posts
Toyota is very sneaky and Calculating. The higher prices might have been a way to lure buyers by later lowering them.
BUT.. this might be another Titan case... But, even if this model run fails.. they will go back to the drawing board. GM however is on top of its big utes game.. the GMT 900's are formidable.. even Toyota cannot match them..
Ford is doing great commercials too. I wonder whats going on at Dodge

What is going on a Dodge? Good question. Pickuptruck.com showed a possible picture of the next gen Ram and I hope it doesn't look like that at all or Chrysler is going to be in even more trouble with one of their best selling models.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am beggining to see a few Tundra's around So Cal.. just with poser type of drivers.. not construction crews

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am beggining to see a few Tundra's around So Cal.. just with poser type of drivers.. not construction crews
I have noticed that too. I havent seen a w/t Tundra....I see them driving Ford and GM trucks. The only ones they have sold were fully loaded Double cabs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts