Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The details on XT4 have slipped out a bit early and it's pretty interesting.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/27/2019-cadillac-xt4-crossover-debuts-new-york/#slide-7287591

Order Guide: http://cadillacsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2019-Cadillac-XT4-Order-Guide-Revised-March-24-2018.pdf

http://cadillacsociety.com/2018/03/24/complete-2019-cadillac-xt4-details-surface-prior-to-reveal/

Styling And Design

Modern SUV proportions (not a wagon or hatch)
Clinic-validated exterior and interior design appeal
Up to 20″ wheels, pushed to the corners and filling the wheel wells
New trim strategy consisting of Luxury, Premium Luxury and Sport personas
Driving, Safety And Confidence

Engine: new 2.0L Turbo, 4-cylinder, Spark Ignition Direct Injection Engine assigned RPO Code LSY making 235 horsepower (175 kW) @ 5000 rpm and 258 pound-feet of torque (350 Nm) @ 1500-4000 rpm)
Transmission: 9-speed automatic transmission with Stop/Start (includes button to disable) and Paddle Shifters
Front-wheel-drive standard
All-wheel-drive optional
Available Twin Clutch AWD with fuel-saving disconnect
Available Continuous Damping Control (CDC) Active Sport Chassis
Customer selectable driving modes
Full array of radar, camera and ultrasonic advanced safety features

Luxury, Comfort And Convenience

Expected segment-leading 2nd row leg room and knee clearance
Authentic interior decor, cut & sewn trim, and available ambient lighting
Keyless Open and Start, Capless Fuel Fill
Available Wireless Charging
Available Air Ionizer
Available Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound; Hands-Free Liftgate, and massage seating
Features And Technology

Center console Rotary Infotainment Controller
Available Rear Camera Mirror, HD Surround Vision and Head-Up Display
LED exterior lighting (headlamps and taillamps) with distinct Cadillac lighting signatures
Second-generation Electronic Precision Shift (EPS)
Now, all that remains is to see the XT4 in photos as well as in person, plus get see pricing info that’s not part of this scoop. We expect to have photos of the hotly-antiticipated crossover on March 26th or 27th (if not before), and then see it with our own eyes in New York on the 27th, so stay tuned. As for pricing, that is likely weeks away, to the tune of two to five months.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some interesting dimensions at the bottom of that order guide, including the fact that although shorter overall, the wheelbase is much longer than the Equinox which means it's going to have that 'pushed to the corners' stance to it.

Once again, not a very interested engine story here, MKC should still have more fun even without the 8-speed upgrade.

Compared to MKC it has a 3"+ longer wheelbase and is about 2" longer overall. It's also much wider (with or without) mirrors so the interior is substantially more spacious.

Despite its size advantage its also about 200lbs lighter than MKC. Coupled with it's wider and longer track it should be able to hustle more like the RWD Germans.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
XT4 numbers are disappointing in terms of power. Sure it's lighter than the MKC but 200 lbs isn't that much.

The Continental grill works very well on the MKC

Too much black plastic on the lower front of the XT4

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't like the front end, but it strikes a handsome profile. Rear end looks good, too.

You sure can see the impact of a long-ish wheelbase. The rear seat looks totally inhabitable.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I like that the rear is distinctive, I don't like that it makes it look short and boxy instead of sleek and dynamic. Although outdated and in need of some refinement, I would still prefer the MKC's rear but EASILY take the XT4's fascia over the bulbously styled overhang on the MKC.

Because of it's short rear section and long rear door, the XT4 almost looks like it's a class and size below. But in reality it's just the insanely long wheelbase which shortens the overhangs and gives the interior far more room than it's competitors. It's definitely far better packaged than the Ford designed platform (which is basically a universal truth at this point).

I still think the Audi is the ideal, lower and longer proportions with sharpened details but with continuous surfacing.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I love how people harped on Ford and Lincoln for sharing interior parts but no one harps on GM for Cadillac and Buick sharing shifters.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

I think the MKC is still pretty sharp, although I suspect that huge MKC overhang won't look as good next to the square-jawed and wide-stanced XT4.
I like them both quite a bit! The Cadillac definitely has the more aggressive look while the Lincoln looks more stately and premium to me. One thing both make clear, C-segment crossovers are difficult to style with their short in length, yet tall in height dimensions. All things considered I think both do a good job of looking premium and stylish!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I like that the rear is distinctive, I don't like that it makes it look short and boxy instead of sleek and dynamic. Although outdated and in need of some refinement, I would still prefer the MKC's rear but EASILY take the XT4's fascia over the bulbously styled overhang on the MKC.

Because of it's short rear section and long rear door, the XT4 almost looks like it's a class and size below. But in reality it's just the insanely long wheelbase which shortens the overhangs and gives the interior far more room than it's competitors. It's definitely far better packaged than the Ford designed platform (which is basically a universal truth at this point).

I still think the Audi is the ideal, lower and longer proportions with sharpened details but with continuous surfacing.
I disagree about the Audi. I think Audi designs fantastic sedans, but their SUVs fall too far on the bland side of understated design IMO. Going only on appearance I think the XT4 and MKC both look better than the Q5. The Audi's take on a more tall wagon appearance versus the small SUV look of the Americans which I personally prefer.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho
soooooooooooooooooo many awkward/odd angles ... made worse by unsubstantial/questionable curves
I see nothing good about the exterior styling = BANKRUPT

the interior otoh
I characterize as some interesting ideas, poorly implemented, withOUT any resolution

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
There is nothing special about the substance in this car. Even the MKC offers some punchy engines and interior trim levels that really stand out. Hopefully they'll kick it up a notch in a year or two.

It's definitely a handsome vehicle, more aggressive and those proportions are enough to make sure it doesn't look like a typical small crossover. In the full walkaround the XT4 has a nice stately modern presence. The MKC is still treading on some older design ideas and a short/narrow/tall wheelbase architecture. Although I doubt MKC will get a heavily modified custom platform like this, the next Escape should provide a badly needed platform stretch to work with. Caddy will certainly sell several times more XT4s than MKCs in the US and China.

·
Registered
866 Posts
MKC & XT4 sit too high. It looks as if you can stick a 4x4 between the tires and the wheel-wells of both. The MKC especially would look much better & more aggressive sitting lower over the wheels, much the way the Cayenne sits. These things aren't going off-road. Lincoln needs to drop their SUV/CUVs about two inches to differentiate themselves from Fords.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not a huge fan. Looks too aggresive, and not in a luxurious way. Aside from the spacious rear legroom and cool looking infotainment screen, I think the MKC looks far superior, even though it's only a refresh!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Too much black plastic on the lower front of the XT4
No idea why they would do that. This is not going to be an off-roader, so spend a little money and don't cheap out on dull black plastic.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I saw this and sat in it at the show. As in the press pics, there’s way too much cheap looking black plastic front and rear, and the back esp just doesn’t look like a Cadillac. The long wheelbase/short overhang look takes a bit to get used to, it reminded me of the Jaguar I-Pace electric car. It’s not elegant in anyway.

The interior looked and felt like a Buick and brings noting new to the table...I actually found myself wishing it had a pop up screen as that’s become so common on anything new!

I will say the revised CT6’s front and rear did look much better in person, and improved the bland looks of the original.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts