Ford Inside News banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts

I do like the MKX front-end better, although that's not staying very long.
That's the problem in a nutshell, the grill on the MKX. I like the Lincoln MKX much better than this new Cadillac XT5, however, I know the grill is most likely going to change soon. It looks like the Edge might be the best bet for me, once it get Sync 3. (IMHO)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
That's the problem in a nutshell, the grill on the MKX. I like the Lincoln MKX much better than this new Cadillac XT5, however, I know the grill is most likely going to change soon. It looks like the Edge might be the best bet for me, once it get Sync 3. (IMHO)
You wouldn't buy an MKX because the grill is going to change soon?

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics scford.

I am too lazy to dig up size specs, but from what I recall sitting in both, the MKX feels substantially bigger inside, mostly wider and with much more headroom. The caddy is longer overall, but that does not translate well to interior space.

I wonder if Cadillac will keep it priced closer to the MKC or raise the price substantially, as they seem to be doing, with little success. Lincoln on the other hand, lowered their price on the MKX. And yes we know, you can build one for more. That's what happens when you offer far more.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
^^ SP, imho it's just like knowing an all new model (style in this case) is around the corner,
that will make today's model/style look instantly dated.

hmm..............
...maybe that's aNOTHER reason FLincMoCo lowered the price a skosh:
They knew the dealers would need the "extra amunition" in the Very near future

the only compensation is the split-wing + Max's horizontal ribs is SPLENDID!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I believe the MKX will not get the new grille for at least another 2 or 3 years. The refreshed MKZ, new Continental, refreshed MKC if one is planned, and Navigator will debut before it is changed on the MKX. Ford is not known for doing quick or multiple updates outside of the F150 and Mustang.

If sales on the MKX dramatically improve which it could, Ford has less incentive to spend money on a quick update.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
^ just-imhO, iculookn,
and not sure I'm saying it well at all...
they MUST NOT "ignore" the X *again* (for **** sake, it's been their #2 seller despite the neglect), + nextLooks must "trickle down" new styles from top to bottom = makes sense of why some/one model would have to wait a turn - just due to schedule/timing looks like poor planning imho

so
Q1-cy2016 Conti intros StarShadow grille = known
Q4-cy2016 aluminNavi debuts with it = fine
then 'no rush' imhO
...can even/also use it on an Aviator or LincStang cuz they'd be all-new PLUS probably be second in price to only the Conti/Navi
but
( except for a possible-&-unklnown long-wlb-Z/direct-MKS-replacement )
if a regular-Z / Z-sport / Z-mce gets it, that puts pressure on the other MK-series with the X more crucial than the C...

the 'saving grace' being that as MK-Cuvs, they could be seen as a separate category/range
tho D.W. kinda killed the suspense (hope he didn't injure sales)

...hope that made sense :angel

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
I believe the MKX will not get the new grille for at least another 2 or 3 years. The refreshed MKZ, new Continental, refreshed MKC if one is planned, and Navigator will debut before it is changed on the MKX. Ford is not known for doing quick or multiple updates outside of the F150 and Mustang.

If sales on the MKX dramatically improve which it could, Ford has less incentive to spend money on a quick update.
Rarely do I recall many instances where lack of sales forced a re-design.
Even the MKT was criticized early on, and nothing changed their long term development plans that included a mild refresh, regardless.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I like the look of it so far... however I need to see it in other colors to see if there is any hidden plastic cladding on the front bumper and sides.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The Lincoln face is very polarizing, It looks very "American" as many people I've heard describe it, which is apparently a bad thing. I assume that means they think it looks more aggressive or out of step with popular European luxury design. The new Continental fascia definitely brings Lincoln into a more European luxury character so it should blend in much better with the world cars. We'll have to see how it's executed on Lincoln's Crossovers and I suspect the next Navigator might be the first to get the new look and MKX will be the last. I actually expect to own two of these MKXs before it's updated to the new look...it takes a good 4 years before we see a refresh. I'm sure it'll be tied to the Edge update, which could definitely use a more interesting face itself.

At first glance I'm turned off by the softness of the new designs, it seems old fashioned and not very exciting. But we're also in an era where all design basically looks the same and lacks distinctiveness. It sounds like Lincoln designers admire Audi the most...as do I. But hopefully we see some of that Audi sharpness and technicality as well.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
The Woodhouse After Hours interview in the previous page was good to listen to, if anyone missed it.
He elaborated on many aspects of where Lincoln is going (design language) as well as how the Conti design evolved.
I agree with much of it. I have a few OCD items I could pick apart regarding him, but overall, I like Woodhouse. And my first reaction was to cringe at his embracing the fact Lincoln is 'resetting' again. But then the more I think of it, the more I see that as a big positive, when redefining an entire brand. So overall, I see the 'reset' as a smarter direction. You can't repeat what you did and expect much different results. I am not sold on some peoples beliefs that if Lincoln suddenly had an exclusive chassis all to them selves, then suddenly and only then will they be taken seriously. Especially when the few co-branded luxury powerhouses who do use it, will soon put an end to that money losing, monolithic approach, in this cut-throat and ultra competitive business. So as the next chapter evolves with Phase II, Lincoln can and will develop a chassis(s) that allows them a lot of flexibility with several top hats, and any drive approach they want. The days of one-offs are gone, if you are savvy, so Lincoln is wise not to embrace old business practices.

So I am very excited and eager to see just how much the Conti will boost Lincoln's image and sales.
Heck, even Bob Lutz seems to feel the Conti is the better approach than their own 'very American' CT6....which looks nearly identical to the CTS. For better or worse. Based on sales, I would suggest 'worse.'

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The Woodhouse After Hours interview in the previous page was good to listen to, if anyone missed it.
He elaborated on many aspects of where Lincoln is going (design language) as well as how the Conti design evolved.
I agree with much of it. I have a few OCD items I could pick apart regarding him, but overall, I like Woodhouse. And my first reaction was to cringe at his embracing the fact Lincoln is 'resetting' again. But then the more I think of it, the more I see that as a big positive, when redefining an entire brand. So overall, I see the 'reset' as a smarter direction. You can't repeat what you did and expect much different results. I am not sold on some peoples beliefs that if Lincoln suddenly had an exclusive chassis all to them selves, then suddenly and only then will they be taken seriously. Especially when the few co-branded luxury powerhouses who do use it, will soon put an end to that money losing, monolithic approach, in this cut-throat and ultra competitive business. So as the next chapter evolves with Phase II, Lincoln can and will develop a chassis(s) that allows them a lot of flexibility with several top hats, and any drive approach they want. The days of one-offs are gone, if you are savvy, so Lincoln is wise not to embrace old business practices.

So I am very excited and eager to see just how much the Conti will boost Lincoln's image and sales.
Heck, even Bob Lutz seems to feel the Conti is the better approach than their own 'very American' CT6....which looks nearly identical to the CTS. For better or worse. Based on sales, I would suggest 'worse.'
Again, I think most of us are less concerned with exclusive platforms as we are with segment appropriate platforms. You make sacrifices, especially aesthetic sacrifices, when you're designing a mass-market vehicle that are simply unacceptable in a truly premium vehicle. You bring up Lutz, and while I agree with him I wonder if he'll feel the same way about the Continental once it's taken it's mass-market Taurus based hits? Based on the mules I'm cautiously optimistic but still wish Lincoln didn't need to concede design perfection to accommodate the Taurus.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Again, I think most of us are less concerned with exclusive platforms as we are with segment appropriate platforms. You make sacrifices, especially aesthetic sacrifices, when you're designing a mass-market vehicle that are simply unacceptable in a truly premium vehicle. You bring up Lutz, and while I agree with him I wonder if he'll feel the same way about the Continental once it's taken it's mass-market Taurus based hits? Based on the mules I'm cautiously optimistic but still wish Lincoln didn't need to concede design perfection to accommodate the Taurus.
Considering the mission of the Conti, I see no compromises.
Do you?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts