Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
via Mr.Burns @ GMI < incldg enhanced photos

2013 Cadillac XTS To Debut CUE Touch-Screen Interface, Software Platform - MotorAuthority
By Bengt Halvorson
October 11, 2011

As we become increasingly tethered to our smartphones, automakers are recognizing that we need simplified in-car interfaces to help get simple tasks—like making a call, accessing songs in our library, or getting a text—without reaching down for the phone and becoming distracted.

With the MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch systems that came out last year, Ford rolled out a very visually attractive interface good for those tasks. However, a number of users have called the system too complex and unintuitive in some tasks. Now General Motors is joining, with its own system, called CUE, which stands for Cadillac User Experience, which is to be unveiled at the CTIA Enterprise & Applications Conference in San Diego this week—and shown, in the Cadillac XTS, at the LA Auto Show.

GM has many very noteworthy firsts in CUE: Foremost of them all is that it’s the first automotive system with a fully-capacitive screen, much like the one in the iPad. The huge 12.3-inch touch screen also recognizes gestures and will bring up menus as your hand approached. Further putting it well ahead of other setups is that CUE will include haptic feedback for the screen itself, gently vibrating as you roll over menu boundaries, to simulate a deeper texture...

More...

&
Click here to watch video of the system in action via Jalopnik

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Alot of the switches and such remind me of MyLincoln Touch / MyFord Touch

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Do people really need switches on the stering wheel to control the radio?
Seriously...does anyone change the channel more than a couple times during a commute? I can't remember the last time I even changed the volume..it is either on or off!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Seriously...does anyone change the channel more than a couple times during a commute? I can't remember the last time I even changed the volume..it is either on or off!
I use mine all the time I rarely use the radio it self

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
Yes, I use it religiously. I switch between 90's on 9, Alt Nation and Lithium all the time!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Seriously...does anyone change the channel more than a couple times during a commute?...
I'm perhaps a-typical: 12 year old econobox, only FM (don't have an Ipod or even a home stereo) but in-the-car is really the only place I listen to music (barring in-frequent youtubing)
also I drive short distances - only in-the-car a 1/2 hour or more if doing multiple errands
yet
I have 8 presets (on console not wheel) and if the mood strikes me and the stations don't co-operate, I can be nearly constantly switching.

All ^this^ to suggest that Maybe part of the idea with sw-controls is for those of us without custom playlists or any desire for them, ie not into music-tech :yikes: or maybe they just let us imagine that we Are into music-tech when we're not?

then again
imho the greatest Luxury is Choice
ie providing choices - even if an individual isn't into any particular one of the choices

1 - 6 of 6 Posts