1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Acura RLX vs. 2013 Cadillac XTS4 - MotorTrend
Elements of Style

By Arthur St. Antoine | Photos By Brian Brantley | April 22, 2013

Specs-wise, the 2013 Cadillac XTS4 and the newly released 2014 Acura RLX almost are twins. Each sedan is powered by a midsize, 24-valve V-6 mated to a six-speed automatic. The Acura's wheelbase is a mere half-inch longer than the Caddy's, while exterior dimensions are within inches of each other. (The XTS is a bit longer and wider.) Comparably equipped, both cars wear stickers just above $60K. Yet in execution and character, the Cadillac and the Acura turn out to be surprisingly different machines, each offering a decidedly different take on what a sport-luxury four-door should be...

...In the end, we scored this one of the closest comparo finishes in recent memory. These are two fine sedans: roomy, loaded with high-tech wizardry, and almost equally capable of pampering driver and passengers for even the longest drives...

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ac_xts4_comparison/viewall.html#ixzz2RDxFJduY

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Acura interior is horrible.
But it somehow wears that beak grill pretty good. Perhaps better than the caddy shield, which I am kind of tiring of.

Cadillac for sure
The Caddy grill has regressed with this third generation of cars. I thought the current CTS was the perfect implementation!

I wasn't aware of just how damn big the RLX is, it really is a direct competitor to the XTS.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ well there are 2 different XTS grilles

base grille

Platinum grille

disclaimer: the Platinum was contrast, light, saturation, & size adjusted

tho I originally loved the Platinum, starting to think something in between would be better

&
_wlb____ovl____w____h____
112.2 - 196.1 - 74.4 - 57.7 - RLX
115.2 - 200.0 - 76.4 - 58.2 - CD4+3 speculation
111.7 - 202.0 - 72.9 - 59.4 - XTS
112.9 - 204.1 - 75.9 - 61.6 - MKS

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^ well there are 2 different XTS grilles

base grille

Platinum grille

disclaimer: the Platinum was contrast, light, saturation, & size adjusted

tho I originally loved the Platinum, starting to think something in between would be better
They've softened the edges on the new grill to much and then added more detailing in it, to busy IMO. I love this one...

·
Registered
149 Posts
The MKS should've been included in this comparo. It's just another slight a lot of these mags have against Lincoln. I was sure someone would have done a comparo between the MKS and the XTS before the RLX. It makes more sense to me but, oh well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
No offense to Lincoln fans but its probably better it wasn't included because it would have fallen short on pretty much every category unless it had the EcoBoost V6 but then it wouldn't be a "fair" comparo

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
No offense to Lincoln fans but its probably better it wasn't included because it would have fallen short on pretty much every category unless it had the EcoBoost V6 but then it wouldn't be a "fair" comparo
I disagree.
MKS has many good points,
Great interior style, quality and materials. Way better style in fact than that horrible Acura.
Great ride with and quick handling with its CCD variable suspension and steering.
Great power, with or without EcoBoost
Great luxury features
Great looks, certainly better than Acura

Personally, I think the XTS is slightly over-rated and the MKS is under rated as well, so it is no slam dunk for Cadillac either. I think they both have similar qualities and attributes on nearly identical architectures, slight advantage in interior, but quickly gives it all away to lack of power.

MKS has better styling proportions as well.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The MKS should've been included in this comparo. It's just another slight a lot of these mags have against Lincoln. I was sure someone would have done a comparo between the MKS and the XTS before the RLX. It makes more sense to me but, oh well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The Lincoln MK S is old, not in the same league as the XTS or Acura. Maybe the new one in 201?????

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
MKS has better styling proportions as well.
If only they could section out about 3-4" from the body the MKS would be drop dead sexy. As it stands now the car is just to tall and throws off the proportions. I do agree that the MKS with the above exception is still better looking than the XTS and RLX.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The platform for this car is the old Volvo S80.... very dated. Impossible to compete with the new from Cadillac and Honda
With each "new" generation of a platform they rarely if ever start with a clean sheet of paper. In other words just because the MKS/Taurus are based upon the S80 doesn't mean they weren't greatly updated. I disagree that it would be impossible to compete with the XTS and RTS, but then we're unlikely to ever find out given Lincoln's status as an afterthought.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you start with a good chassis, and improve it, you can compete.
Besides, the chassis is only as good as the components placed on it.
Kind of like a road bike, you start with a good frame, and it is all the components that make it great.
I think the cadillac interior is the best, but I prefer the exterior of the current mks, love the back of the car

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
platform = schmatform
chassis = schmassis

I'm coming to the conclusion that what with nannies and pedestrian-protection systems and trying to make an "architecture" work for cars+cuvs of multiple sizes, *ADAPTING* their transmission-settings and this'n'that which has to LEARN how you drive...

...the Golden Age for chassises was at least a Decade AGO...

and everything since then has been downhill for someone who likes to DRIVE a MACHINE
instead being a robot's passenger-in-the-left-seat

rant - rant - rant

the reason I'm glad the MKS wasn't in the comparo has nothing to do with the current MKS itself
but
-- the (ugh) media

-- the Taurus**
-- No Benefit: until Lincoln's "story" gets to the point (for each vehicle) that their into a ROUTINE with a consistent DIRECTION, there will never be a "Lincoln-Customer" to care about comparos, just other-Brand-TROLLS to snigger & bash

** I'd actually much prefer to see the Taurus AND Taurus-SHO tested against the XTSRLXm o u s e e e e e e e e e e

·
Registered
621 Posts
Isn't the XTS on Impala bones...and aren't they awful?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts