Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the record, I only confirmed that coyote 5.0L is going nowhere.
I saw that you only stated that but yet others add/changed multiple things to that and labeled it "wings confirmed". The human race seems to do that a lot, they hear something and proceed to add their own spices to it...u guess your statement was too vague for some wings lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
OK had a thought about something, what if Ford is going to play
mix and match with a few available bore and stroke ratios...

Follow me here

Coyote 5.0 = 92.2 mm x 92.0 mm
Voodoo 5.2 = 94.0 mm x 92.0 mm FPC (unique to Shelby)
Cammer 5.0 = 94.0 mm x 90.0 mm

New Coyote 5.0 = 94.0mm x 90.0mm (using Cammer Mod style Crank)
New Coyote 5.2 = 94.0 mm x 92.0 mm (Original 5.0 Coyote cross plane crank)
New Coyote 4.8 = 92.2 mm x 90.0 mm (using Cammer Mod style Crank)

If this report were true, then it would leave open the possibility that the Mustang
could continue with a bigger bore shorter stroke 5.0 Coyote for added power/torque
while allowing F150 to use both 4.8 and 5.2 versiosn of the Coyote. That 0.4 liter may
not sound like much of a difference but it could be enough to cover the needs of V8 buyers
in the two important towing segments, up to 8,000 lbs and >8,000 lbs through to 12,000 lbs. .

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I'm really curious to see what Ford will do considering the fact that the F-series pickup and Mustang are their only models with V8 options. The 5.0 won't go anywhere but will the rumored 4.8 be shared?

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
I'm really curious to see what Ford will do considering the fact that the F-series pickup and Mustang are their only models with V8 options. The 5.0 won't go anywhere but will the rumored 4.8 be shared?
More V8 applications are coming. Expedition also gets V8 again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Let's put it this way, there's more chance of Ford seeing more use of its DOHC V8
than GM getting that 6.2 DOHC LT5 in anything other than a high priced dream machine.

A little off topic,
I would like to see Ford replace the 3.5 V6 in F150 with a baby 4.2 Coyote V8.
An engine like that with DI should produce 350 HP/350 lb ft, more than capable
of replacing the uninspiring base V6 and towing up to 8,000 lbs with ease...
...something that generates interest without hurting sales of other engine types....

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Let's put it this way, there's more chance of Ford seeing more use of its DOHC V8
than GM getting that 6.2 DOHC LT5 in anything other than a high priced dream machine.
I don't think it will be as exotic as Ford's flat-plane crank Voodoo V8.
I wouldn't be surprised if a milder version of the DOHC LT5 finds its way under the hood of Cadillacs.

A little off topic,
I would like to see Ford replace the 3.5 V6 in F150 with a baby 4.2 Coyote V8.
An engine like that with DI should produce 350 HP/350 lb ft, more than capable
of replacing the uninspiring base V6 and towing up to 8,000 lbs with ease...
...something that generates interest without hurting sales of other engine types....
Seeing the positive sales of EcoBoost V6 powered F150s, maybe Ford might just make it standard in the future.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't think it will be as exotic as Ford's flat-plane crank Voodoo V8.
I wouldn't be surprised if a milder version of the DOHC LT5 finds its way under the hood of Cadillacs.
Cadillac has their own V8 coming out, they already announced a 4.2 turbo.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Would it be a safe assumption to say D6 will be V8 capable?
By capable, what you are really asking is if it was designed for a V8.

Let me just say this without getting into trouble.

V8's are not dead or being phased out at Ford and plenty of development work continues, and not just for Mustang and trucks.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
By capable, what you are really asking is if it was designed for a V8.

Let me just say this without getting into trouble.

V8's are not dead or being phased out at Ford and plenty of development work continues, and not just for Mustang and trucks.
Makes me wonder if D6 can handle a V8 which way will it be mounted?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Makes me wonder if D6 can handle a V8 which way will it be mounted?
I'm ready to find out hard facts about the D6 architecture, if it truly is capable of FWD, RWD, AWD. I'm still eagerly waiting to see if Ford ever applies is Ecoboost technology to a V8.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
And regarding GM's rumored DOHC 6.2L, I think it would be a brilliant move for their tech laden (mid engine?) next gen sports car. And it fits into their lineup nicely with a more 'bespoke' option. I think they can still utilize a few smaller components (rods, pistons, crank, bore spacing, bearings, etc.) for a dash of modularity and reduced costs. It will also give us all a great comparative view as to the differences of both architectures, while GM engineering must love the challenge and opportunity of impressing the other half with what I am sure will be quite impressive, if not leading metrics. I personally love the whole idea, so I hope it is a true rumor and would generate far more buzz than another supercharged OHV motor.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
I think some Ford news is right around the corner, and links like this pretty much confirm a new V8 is coming to replace the old V10.....so why not. The V10 was based on old tooling/dimensions/architecture from the modular series. This new engine will have nothing in common and is a clean sheet design. That is pretty much all I should say.

:::fingers crossed for luck:::

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I'm ready to find out hard facts about the D6 architecture, if it truly is capable of FWD, RWD, AWD. I'm still eagerly waiting to see if Ford ever applies is Ecoboost technology to a V8.
Yea details have been hard to come by but the Transit is already capable of doing FWD, RWD, AWD so Ford does have experience doing it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts